Folks, it’s March and we’re now approximately eight days until Selection Sunday sets the sports world on fire. By our count, there are about twenty teams fighting for half as many at-large spots, and this weekend’s games will have increased importance in the all-too-important ‘sniff test.’ The NCAA Selection Committee is made of humans just like the rest of us, and if they see a couple of teams look great on tv this weekend, it could be the little extra push needed to earn a Dance card next Sunday. But it’s not just about those so-called bubble teams; it’s also about positioning. Which team will step up in the last week to grab the likely one remaining #1 seed, along with Syracuse, Kansas and Kentucky? Who will be able to secure a top four regional seed in order to play closer to home? There are so many questions unanswered still remaining. Today is the last Saturday of the regular season, and as always, we’ll be with you on Boom Goes the Dynamite throughout the day. Below are the key games we plan on keeping an eye on — of special note is that three more automatic bids will be delivered today, in the Big South, Atlantic Sun and Ohio Valley Conferences.
- Noon – West Virginia @ Villanova on CBS – RTC Live
- Noon - Texas A&M @ Oklahoma on ESPN
- Noon – Cincinnati @ Georgetown on ESPN360
- 1 pm – Tulsa @ Memphis on CBS College Sports
- 1:30 pm – Maryland @ Virginia on ESPN360
- 2 pm – Kansas @ Missouri on CBS
- 2 pm – Syracuse @ Louisville on ESPN
- 2 pm – Notre Dame @ Marquette on ESPN360
- 2 pm – UConn @ USF on The Big East Network
- 2 pm – Notre Dame @ Marquette on The Big East Network
- 2 pm – South Carolina @ Vanderbilt on ESPN2
- 4 pm- UCLA @ Arizona State on CBS
- 4 pm – Texas @ Baylor on ESPN
- 4 pm – Big South Championship: Winthrop vs. Coastal Carolina on ESPN2
- 4 pm – Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech on ESPN360
- 6 pm – Tennessee @ Mississippi State on ESPN
- 6 pm – Atlantic Sun Championship: ETSU @ Mercer on ESPN2
- 8 pm – OVC Championship: Murray State vs. Morehead State on ESPN2
- 9 pm – UNC @ Duke on ESPN
- 9 pm – New Mexico State @ Utah State on ESPN360
We will be back at 11 AM for our continuing coverage so check back then and feel free to comment or ask questions in the comment section.
11:00: Nice showing by the Duke student for GameDay. Not going to be Kentucky because of the smaller student body and smaller arena.
11:10: Ugh. Speedo guy segment coming on GameDay. I will be switching the channel for a few minutes when that segment is going to start. Way to show segments that your audience will be interested in. Would they do a “Bikini girl” segment or would that not be PC?
11:20: Coach K does not approve of “Speedo guy”. I think we have finally found something that UNC fans will agree with him on. Seriously ESPN. Why are you featuring this idiot?
11:25: Be back in 5 minutes. Tell me when it is over.
11:30: Back again. Knight does not look amused, which amuses me.
11:45: So Sherron Collins was a great athlete in high school, plays video games, and like macaroni. I’m glad we found that out. Why can’t GameDay do legit segments like the one on the Syracuse zone they did earlier this year?
Noon: Hubert picks UNC. Big surprise. Knight and Bilas are calling for a Duke beat down. I’d go with something in between the two.
12:05: Three interesting games on right now none of which is the FSU-Miami game that ESPN2 decided to show over Cincinnati-Georgetown. The best of the three games is clearly the West Virginia-Villanova game, which we are doing a RTC Live for so be sure to check that out.
12:15: Interesting news: Both Luke Harangody and Austin Freeman will play today according to Seth Davis and Jeff Goodman respectively.