Posted by jstevrtc on November 15th, 2010
PUT. THAT COFFEE. DOWN.
For the third year in a row, ESPN is bringing us what we consider one of the great television events on the sports television calendar, the 24 Hours of Hoops Marathon. That means that for the third year in a row, I’ll be live-blogging the whole thing from start to finish — and this year, we’re climbing this hoops blogger’s Everest without supplemental oxygen. That is to say…I’m going caffeine-free. More importantly, here is the schedule of games for this year’s marathon (all times Eastern):
- 12:00 midnight — Miami (FL) at Memphis (ESPN)
- 2:00 am — St. John’s at St. Mary’s (ESPN)
- 4:00 am — Central Michigan at Hawaii (ESPN)
- 6:00 am — Stony Brook at Monmouth (ESPN)
- 8:00 am — Robert Morris at Kent State (ESPN)
- 10:00 am — Northeastern at Southern Illinois (ESPN)
- 12 noon — Oral Roberts at Tulsa (ESPN)
- 2:00 pm — La Salle at Baylor (ESPN)
- 4:00 pm — Virginia Tech at Kansas State (ESPN)
- 5:30 pm — Marist at Villanova (ESPNU)
- 6:00 pm — Ohio State at Florida (ESPN)
- 7:30 pm — Miami (OH) at Duke (ESPNU)
- 8:00 pm — Butler at Louisville (ESPN)
- 9:30 pm — Belmont at Tennessee (ESPNU)
- 10:00 pm — South Carolina at Michigan State (ESPN)
- 11:00 pm — San Diego State at Gonzaga (ESPN2)
- 11:30 pm — Pacific at UCLA (ESPNU)
The first attempt at this resulted in some hallucinations and arrhythmias as the hour got late (I had been up for 16 hours before starting the live blog) and I required a few caffeine-laden beverages. Last year, we had a technical glitch that kept us on our toes, but the live blog survived. This time, to raise the standard yet again, I’ll be sans caffeine. I know that without a webcam (we’re not that kind of site) you have no reason to believe that I’m not pounding sodas and cappuccinos and Five Hour Energy drinks by the blender-full. Since I believe RTC is the only site that’s done this all three years, well…you’ll just have to trust me. After two years, I think our relationship is in that kind of place. I hope you’ll join us right here (the live blog will continue in this post) a few minutes before midnight. Now, for my pre-live-blog meal. How’s a little turkey and wine sound?
11:47 PM Monday — Here we go. The high-def at the RTC Southern Compound is rockin’. We’ve checked the router and the internet connection to the building (which bit us in zee buttocks last year), and it appears solid. The football game is all but over (as it has been since halftime). Let’s go.
Read the rest of this entry »