Brackets Revealed: Instant AnalysisPosted by rtmsf on March 15th, 2009
Some very quick food for thought after the big reveal…
- At least in the #1-#4 seed positions, the Midwest (Louisville, Michigan St, Kansas, Wake Forest) appears to be the toughest region. It gets weaker at the lower seeds, but among the top teams, this is a beast (3 BCS regular season champs + a second-place team). That said, Louisville having to play Ohio St. in Dayton in the second round is an interesting game.
- The weakest appears to be the South after #1 UNC. Oklahoma is falling off, Syracuse is up-and-down, and Gonzaga is softer than toilet paper. Arizona St. and Clemson are darkhorses in this region.
- Cannot believe that #3 Villanova in the East will get to play essentially at home for the first two rounds. That’s even more egregious than the annual UNC/Duke games in Greensboro/Raleigh/W-S/Charlotte.
- How about a Cinderella #13 Portland St. playing in Boise vs. #4 Xavier (slumping) and then the #5 FSU/#12 Wisconsin winner? Or a WAC team, #11 Utah St. playing #6 Marquette in the same location?
- We have a feeling #11 VCU over #6 UCLA is going to be a very popular upset choice. The Bruins don’t travel that far east very well in recent years. Or #4 Wake, a team that has proven they only get up for “name” teams, losing to #13 Cleveland St. in the first round in Miami?
- Most vulnerable teams in the first round by seed:
- #1 – none
- #2 – Oklahoma (Morgan St.)
- #3 – Kansas (North Dakota St.)
- #4 – Xavier (Portland St.)
- #5 – all of them? But probably Illinois (W. Kentucky)
- #6 – UCLA (VCU)
- #7 – Boston College (USC)
- #8 – LSU (Butler)
- Best Games by region (first round):
- East – #8 Oklahoma St. vs. #9 Tennessee – very up-and-down high-scoring game.
- South – #7 Clemson vs. #10 Michigan – will the Beilein style frustrate the Tigers?
- Midwest – #7 BC vs. #10 USC – can the athletic Trojans keep it going?
- West – #8 BYU vs. #9 Texas A&M – Let’s do this again…
- Best potential games by region (second round):
- East – #3 Villanova vs. #6 UCLA – if the Bruins survive, this would be a fun guard-oriented game.
- South – #3 Syracuse vs. #6 Arizona St. -two teams coming on at the right time.
- Midwest – #1 Louisville vs. #8 Ohio St. – in Dayton.
- West – #2 Memphis vs. #10 Maryland – the Terps have proven they can beat top-level teams.
- QnD Final Four (subject to change):
- Pittsburgh (East) vs. Syracuse (South)
- Memphis (West) vs. Kansas (Midwest)
Much more later as we get ourselves steady for the rest of the week…