Each day this week during the regional rounds of the NCAA Tournament we’re asking some of our top correspondents to put together a collection of notes and interesting tidbits about each region. If you know of something that we should include in tomorrow’s submission, hit us up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Butler (Andrew Murawa)
- While Butler playing in the Final Four is undoubtedly good for Bulldog fans, there is some question of whether it is good financially for Indianapolis.
- John Gasaway at Basketball Prospectus says that Matt Howard staying out of foul trouble is not nearly as important as you would think, but that Butler forcing turnovers is.
- For the Sporting News’ Ryan Fagan, Gordon Hayward is the most important piece of the puzzle for the Bulldogs, and the most important player in the Final Four.
- Gregg Doyel thinks this may be the year that a mid-major (or Cinderella, or just plain old “smaller school”), in the form of these Bulldogs, wins the title.
- But Detroit Mercy head coach Ray McCallum thinks there may be a script for beating Butler; the question is whether anyone can follow that script, something his Titans failed to do this season.
- ESPN’s Tim Keown has an interesting comparison of the approaches that Butler and Kentucky take towards their programs, with the Bulldogs (mostly by necessity) building piece by piece for the future while Kentucky (and more specifically, John Calipari) relies on short-term superstars.
Duke (Patrick Sellars)
- The Bleacher Report puts their own spin on a preview of the Duke Blue Devils.
- An article from the Star Tribune discusses how Duke ruined the Final Four because they are the only unlikable team in the mix.
- Here’s an article from the Miami-Herald on why people despise Duke, and apparently it starts with Coach K. I suppose the rest of the ACC hating on Duke continues into the offseason.
- Want to know who the best white Duke player of all time was? Well now you can! Thank God Josh McRoberts missed the list.