Recruiting Rumor Mill: 08.23.10 EditionPosted by nvr1983 on August 23rd, 2010
There were only a few commitments this week and none of the magnitude of Anthony Davis or Isaiah Austin, but many highly rated prospects are beginning to narrow down their lists, which means we should be getting even more news coming out about them in the next few weeks.
- Arizona picked up a pair of commitments when it added Nick Johnson and Sidiki Johnson. Nick, a top 10 shooting guard, appears to be the star of the current Wildcat class, but Sean Miller is still out trying to fill up his class even after the sanctions the NCAA imposed upon the program.
- One of Miller’s target recruits, Jahii Carson, a top 10 point guard, opted against joining the Johnsons in Tucson and instead joined Herb Sendek when he committed to Arizona State last week.
- Staying in the southwestern part of the country, New Mexico State picked up a commitment from French-born Remi Barry who most recently went to high school in California. Barry will have to sit out a year as he didn’t qualify based on NCAA requirement, which is reportedly due to difficulty analyzing his academic transcript from two continents.
- Heading back east, Ohio State picked up a commitment from LaQuinton Ross, a small forward who was rated very highly early in his high school career, but has slid down some ranking lists due to injury. If we were Ross, we would take it easy on the talk of trying to fill Evan Turner‘s shoes in Columbus.
- Bernard Sullivan, a top 15 power forward, announced that he would be committing to Clemson after considering a variety of schools including Harvard, which technically cannot offer an athletic scholarship.
- Myck Kabongo, the #2 rated point guard in this year’s class, has been hearing a lot of rumors that he was wavering on his prior commitment to Texas and decided he needed to put an end to that speculation by coming out and reaffirming his commitment to Rick Barnes and the Longhorns.
- Tony Barbee picked up a pair of commitments this week when Willy Kouassi and Bernard Morena committed to Auburn. The pair, who are from the Ivory Coast and are currently teammates at a school in Birmingham, Alabama, were reportedly a package deal. Their background is interesting as they have been moved around the country as a pair by their legal guardian/AAU coach (yeah, sounds sketchy to us too).
- Former Texas commit DeAndre Daniels, the #3 shooting guard in the class of 2012, visited a pair of schools in Los Angeles (USC and UCLA) this weekend. We enjoyed the fact that his high school coach called him “a poor man’s Scottie Pippen-type.” How about a little hype for your star player?
- Looking to bolster his backcourt, Bill Self has extended a scholarship offer from Kansas to Archie Goodwin, one of the top shooting guards in the class of 2012.
- Kyle Anderson, the #1 point guard in next year’s class, is reportedly considering staying close to home as he is considering St. John’s after a recent visit. Before Steve Lavin and company get too excited, Anderson seems very much up in the air as he is also reportedly taking a visit to La Salle, which typically is not in the thick of things for the top players in the country much less the #1 point guard in the country.