08.30.07 Fast BreaksPosted by rtmsf on August 30th, 2007
What’s going on around the hoops world this week?
- “Hoops” Weiss reports that 2007 A10 rookie of the year Robert Mitchell (16ppg; 5rpg) from Duquesne is transferring to Seton Hall.
- More injuries – Louisville’s Edgar Sosa is out four weeks with a sprained ankle, and Arkansas’ Sonny Weems is out the same amount of time with a broken hand (Weems has to miss the Hawgs’ trip to Cancun – rotten timing for him).
- The Wooden Classic matchups are set, with San Diego St. taking on St. Mary’s in the undercard and Davidson vs. UCLA in the headliner game on Dec. 8. We can’t wait to see Stephen Curry match up against Darren Collison.
- Apparently KU’s Brandon Rush is a fast healer.
- NC State’s Gavin Grant has high expectations for his squad this season (memo to GG: you’ll have four losses by Jan. 12). Find all 12 ACC teams’ scheduling highlights here.
- Ever the shameless promoter, OJ Mayo is floating the idea of sticking around USC for two seasons.
- OJ’s former HS buddy Bill Walker is ready for his first full season in Manhattan (Kansas).
- Speaking of USC, we always wondered how that big lead against UNC evaporated so quickly in last year’s sweet 16. Oh, right, Tim Floyd.
- Sticking with the SoCal theme, here’s the next wannabe crossover conglomerate that Floyd can “recruit” to USC – 2009 #1 player Renardo Sidney (and his pops).
- Large things are expected in HoosierLand for Eric Gordon (best since Isiah?? Wow!). Kelvin Sampson gives an interview on his team’s prospects prior to IU’s trip to the Bahamas here.
- Finally, the Big 10 Network is set to come on the air tonight at 8pm. According to Mike DeCourcey, ”among the intriguing games that will show up on the BTN will be Indiana at Iowa (January 2), Purdue at Michigan State (January 8), Wisconsin at Illinois (February 20) and three conference tournament games.”