07.03.07 Fast BreaksPosted by rtmsf on July 3rd, 2007
Quite a bit of stuff we’ve missed over the past week or so…
- Iowa transfer and Tennessee native Tyler Smith will be eligible to play at UT next season, as his appeal was approved by the NCAA. UT just moved into our Top 5 for 2007-08.
- Florida guard Brandon Powell‘s arrest for possession of a little ganja results in a transfer – expect to see him at Oklahoma St. or WVU next year.
- Cliff Ellis resurfaces at Coastal Carolina – we guess there are worse places than Conway, South Carolina.
- Apparently the NCAA will revisit its recently-enacted text messaging ban after 34 schools asked for a review.
- Indiana will tear down Assembly Hall (the House that Knight built) and Auburn will tear down Beard-Eaves Coliseum (the House that… um… Barkley? The Rifleman? built?) in favor of new barns.
- New Mexico St. coach Reggie Theus alighted for the Sacto Queens and the golden opportunity to coach Spencer Hawes, opening the door for Louisville assistant coach Marvin Menzies to take over in Las Cruces. Former UK & Celtic favorite and longtime crooner Walter McCarty will take the open position on Pitino’s staff.
- John Hollinger at espn.com (Insider, but if you look around you can find it copied/pasted elsewhere) has a tremendous article on evaluating college players before the draft.
- It’s never too early. Chad Ford’s Top 10 for the 2008 Draft. While we’re at it, here’s the projected mocks on NBADraft.net (2008 and 2009).
- Seth Davis has an interesting piece on the Under-19 USA team. Looking at Sunday night’s box score – Stephen Curry continues to impress.
- UK has signed just about everyone lately, as Billy Gillispie has the Wildcat fans giddy over his recruiting prowess during his first three months on the job. Oh, and he hasn’t found a place to live yet (has he looked?).
- Duke Dorks feigning comedy. Jon Scheyer
actingwalking around campus with a camera nearby.