Patrick Marshall of White and Blue Review is the RTC correspondent for the Missouri Valley Conference.
Current Records and My Standings (Last Week’s Rank)
- Missouri St. (9-0) (1)
- Wichita St. (9-1) (2)
- Northern Iowa (7-1) (5)
- Illinois St. (7-1) (3)
- Southern Illinois (5-2) (8)
- Bradley (5-3) (4)
- Indiana St. (6-3) (6)
- Evansville (4-3) (7)
- Drake (5-5) (10)
- Creighton (3-5) (9)
STORIES OF THE WEEK
- Missouri St. wins two more games. The Bears are continuing to win, much to the chagrin of my pre-season rankings. I thought they would have at least 3 losses by now. Home court advantage was probably a help to their early success, but they also have two wins on the road and are in the middle of a three-game road trip. It would be pretty amazing if they finish the non-conference season undefeated by getting road wins at St. Louis and Arkansas, both very winnable games.
- Creighton loses on the road again. Creighton is now 0-5 on the road this season and could finish 2009 with a losing record which would be the first time in a long time. This week it was to George Mason as they led most of the game and collapsed in the last few minutes of the game, helped by a technical foul on coach Dana Altman with 18 seconds left in the game with Creighton up by two. Creighton lost the game, 75-72.
- Shockers looking pretty good. Other than the loss to Pittsburgh in the CBE Classic, Wichita State is playing some good basketball lately and have gained a lot of confidence with a couple road wins at UMKC and Cleveland State as well as some guarantee games at Koch Arena. They will be a force come conference play.
- UNI sweeps Iowa teams. For the first time since 2006-07 season, UNI beat both Iowa and Iowa St. in the annual matchup between the Iowa schools. The Panthers are on a roll as of late and creating quite the resume’ with wins over Iowa, Iowa St., Boston College, and Siena.
- Read the rest of this entry »