Posted by rtmsf on August 17th, 2007
Nothing like 100-degree heat to make you think college hoops, right:
- Our future Prez (ca. 2016 unless some redneck jacks him first) was a baller! Barack Obama starred at D3 Occidental College back in the day (highlights here – let’s hope his FT shooting acumen is not indicative of a lack of concentration under pressure)
- FAMU head coach Mike Gillespie was fired for stalking his ex-girlfriend – and yes, because you wouldn’t need a girlfriend unless it were so, he is married.
- What the hell is going on at Ball St.? Coach Ronny Thompson (son of JT2) resigned in July, leaving in his wake an athletic dept smeared by his cries of racism and unfairness (also leaving a 9-22 first year record on the table). The two black Ws – Wilbon and Whitlock – chime in with conflicting viewpoints on the situation, and new head coach Billy Taylor (from Lehigh) is now left with a mess to clean up. Why couldn’t David Letterman take care of this?
- The NCAA says no more Pembroke States and UC-Davises in D1 for four years.
- Al Skinner is getting a raise from BC. He’d better sign that extension quickly because Tyrese Rice by himself probably can’t cash those checks in 2007-08.
- Im-ass is getting sued for slander by one of the “nappy-headed hos” at Rutgers. The conservatorium is up in arms over this, but we’re not really following their logic – are they really saying that this woman (and her teammates) were not defamed by Imus’s comments? Seriously?
- Celebrations ensue in Madison, Columbus and other places midwestern as the Big 10 Network released its 2008 hoops schedule. We’ve already circled that Feb. 6 tilt between Minnesota and Northwestern on our iPhone.
- W4M: ISO orange-clad GOB who won’t be offended by mannish tendencies and spirited versions of Rocky Top. Must be willing to be dominated in life and bedroom. Appreciates the nuances and subtleties of women’s sports (read: boring and lame).
- ESPN invented a way to air OJ Mayo three times early in the season – create a new Tournament! The Anaheim Classic features USC and a bunch of mid-majors. Expect to see The Juice Deux on tv a LOT this upcoming season.
- We’ve never heard of an athletic department bailing out the academic side of the shop, but we’ve also never seen an athletic juggernaut like Florida either.
- Gary Parrish exposes the seamier side of recruiting in this article. Wait, there’s a seamier side? We thought the whole thing was slimy to begin with.
- MMAS puts forth its summer thoughts in two detailed postings about (mostly) BCS teams, but there are some valuable insights here. Btw, we agree about the Vols.
- The WWL has an interesting piece on how teams push the envelope with the rules to get an edge.
- Rivals is well under way with its Top 64 teams of 2007-08.