SEC Pick ‘Em: Week of November 13-19Posted by DPerry on November 13th, 2012
Every Tuesday, the SEC microsite writers will post their picks for the week’s top games involving SEC teams. Keep up with them to determine if we actually know what we’re talking about when it comes to basketball.
Tuesday- Duke vs. Kentucky (in Atlanta) – Verdict: Kentucky (2-1)
- Brian– Kentucky 72-70: While inexperienced and playing as such on Friday against Maryland, UK has too much athleticism to lose this one.
- Doug– Duke 74-69: The Wildcats’ young frontcourt will struggle to keep Mason Plumlee off the boards and this Blue Devils team has the athleticism to at least keep up with Kentucky.
- Kyle– Kentucky 73-69: Kentucky wins another squeaker. Both teams will live and die by their strengths — Kentucky’s transition game and Duke’s outside shooting. Interior presence wins this matchup.
Wednesday- Wisconsin at Florida – Verdict: Florida (3-0)
- Brian– Florida 66-59: Florida is tough to beat at home, and I think the Gators are the better team in this one.
- Doug– Florida 65-62: The Scottie Wilbekin suspension hurts, but The Swamp will be rocking and the Gators will use a balanced attack to wear down the Badgers.
- Kyle– Florida 77-62: Florida is too well-rounded for a defensive-minded Badger team who still barely scores any points per game. Look for Kenny Boynton to show his leadership down the stretch.
- Brian– Alabama 69-60: Oregon State allowed Niagara to shoot 34 threes, and the Purple Eagles made 16 of them. Trevor Lacey will have fun with that.
- Doug– Oregon State 73-70: Alabama will need more out of their frontcourt against the Beavers, and I’m not convinced that Devonta Pollard and Moussa Gueye are up to the task.
- Kyle- Alabama 68-59: Bama struggled in their opener but still had the tools needed to win. A few good wins early will give them confidence headed into December.
Thursday- Auburn vs. Murray State (in Charleston, SC) – Verdict: Murray State (3-0)
- Brian– Murray State 83-71: Sometimes you have to look at who can take over a game, and that guy in this particular game is Isaiah Canaan.
- Doug– Murray State 78-66: I think people are underrating the Tigers, but Isaiah Canaan is still far and away the best player on the floor.
- Kyle– Murray State 81-60: All-American candidate Isaiah Canaan should continue on his torrid pace from last year and help the Racers to another strong non-conference victory.
Friday- Vanderbilt at Oregon – Verdict: Oregon (2-1)
- Brian– Oregon 61-54: Quick, name one starter in Vanderbilt’s starting five. Okay, you’re SEC fans so you can probably do that, but I bet you can’t name a bigger impact guy than Oregon’s Tony Woods.
- Doug– Vanderbilt 72-70: Even though he’s implementing an entirely new rotation, I’m confident that Kevin Stallings will have his team prepared. The Commodores pull the upset.
- Kyle– Oregon 74-57: Vandy’s lack of playmakers will be exposed. EJ Singler could be the next big player from Oregon this year.