RTC Top 25: Week 12Posted by rtmsf on January 30th, 2012
With many of the teams in the bottom half of the Top 25 losing last week there was quite a bit of movement in the rankings. However, with so many teams losing, very few teams had significant moves, and for the most part the top of the rankings still pretty closely resembles what we would have expected at the beginning of the season. While the traditional powers take up the top spots in this week’s RTC Top 25, seven non-Power Six conference teams managed to make it into the poll. The Quick ‘n Dirty after the jump…
- Kentucky is the unanimous #1 in this week’s poll while voters are split between Syracuse and Ohio State being the second best team in the country. In the end, the Orange got the nod thanks to a 4-3 edge in votes, but don’t be suprised to see the Buckeyes move ahead of the Orange in the coming weeks if both teams continue winning as the Big Ten appears to be a much stronger conference this year.
- The bigger mover in this week’s poll was Indiana, who dropped 8 spots after losing at Wisconsin. The move might be a bit excessive based on that single loss, but it probably is more of a reflection of writers correcting their previous ranking after the Hoosiers lost 4 of their past 5 games before their offensive explosion on Sunday against Iowa.
- Likewise, Florida State was the biggest riser moving up 4 spots from last week’s poll. They made that move despite their only win this past week coming against Wake Forest. The Seminoles rise is probably due to a combination of the Seminoles winning five in a row including games against two top 10 teams–UNC and Duke–and several teams ahead of them losing games in the past week.
- As you would expect Murray State continues to be the most difficult to rank team in our Top 25. While two voters have them in the Top 10, two other voters barely even have them in the Top 25 putting them at 24th in their polls. It will be interesting to see if those two voters who are holding out on the Racers will let them move up in the rankings and how far the Racers will plummet if they lose a game before the NCAA Tournament.
Top 25 Games:
- #22 Indiana at#20 Michigan on February 1
- #3 Ohio State at #23 Wisconsin on February 4
- #4 Kansas at #6 Missouri on February 4
- #17 Virginia at #19 Florida State on February 4
- #20 Michigan at #8 Michigan State on February 5
Conference Call – Big Ten (5), Big East (4), ACC (4), Big 12 (3), Mountain West (2), Missouri Valley (2), West Coast (2), and Ohio Valley (1)