RTC Bracketology Update: 03.10.11Posted by zhayes9 on March 10th, 2011
Zach Hayes is RTC’s official bracketologist.
Bubble Math (updated on Thursday, 5:30 ET)
Non-At Large Automatic Bids: 22
Spots Remaining: 9
Currently In The Field: Colorado, Richmond, Georgia, Saint Mary’s, Michigan, Michigan State, Clemson, Boston College, Virginia Tech.
Last Four In: Michigan State, Clemson, Boston College, Virginia Tech.
First Four Out: Alabama, Southern Cal, VCU, UAB.
S-Curve (italics indicate automatic bids)
- 1 Seeds: Ohio State, Kansas, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame
- 2 Seeds: Duke, Texas, BYU, San Diego State
- 3 Seeds: Florida, North Carolina, Purdue, Syracuse
- 4 Seeds: Louisville, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Kentucky
- 5 Seeds: St. John’s, West Virginia, Arizona, Xavier
- 6 Seeds: Vanderbilt, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Texas A&M
- 7 Seeds: Georgetown, Old Dominion, Missouri, Temple
- 8 Seeds: UCLA, George Mason, Tennessee, Utah State
- 9 Seeds: UNLV, Florida State, Gonzaga, Marquette
- 10 Seeds: Illinois, Villanova, Washington, Butler
- 11 Seeds: Colorado, Richmond, Georgia, Saint Mary’s
- 12 Seeds: Michigan, Michigan State, Clemson, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Belmont
- 13 Seeds: Harvard, UTEP, Oakland, Indiana State
- 14 Seeds: Bucknell, Morehead State, Wofford, Kent State
- 15 Seeds: Long Beach State, Long Island, Northern Colorado, St. Peter’s
- 16 Seeds: Boston University, UNC-Asheville, McNeese State, Arkansas Little-Rock, Texas Southern, Bethune-Cookman
Changes on 3/10:
- Colorado moves safely into the field with their third win of the season over Kansas State. The Buffs also have wins over Texas and Missouri. Despite a mediocre RPI and poor non-conference losses, those five wins are unmatched among fellow bubble squads. Alabama is now the first team out leading up to their rematch with Georgia tomorrow.
- Connecticut jumps up another seed line with their win over Pittsburgh. The Huskies are now 12-9 vs. Big East competition and tout an outstanding 14 wins vs. the RPI top-100. Pittsburgh’s entire body of work keeps the Panthers as the third #1 seed, but opens up the possibility of Notre Dame passing them in the coming days, a switch that would send Pitt to the Anaheim region.
- UAB’s quarterfinal loss to East Carolina in the Conference USA Tournament drops the Blazers out of the automatic bid. Their only RPI top-50 wins are against Marshall, making it extremely unlikely the Blazers will earn a spot in the field. UTEP is now the projected auto bid from CUSA.
- Avoiding upsets kept Georgia and Boston College in the field, but neither win boosted their position on the S-Curve.
- BYU once again played poorly without Brandon Davies against bottom-feeder TCU. A loss in the MWC Tournament and pushes by either Florida or North Carolina in the days ahead could drop the Cougars to a #3 seed.
- Word from Steve Lavin is that D.J. Kennedy suffered a “serious knee injury.” This may affect St. John’s seed if confirmed.
Bubble Games Tonight
- New Mexico vs. Colorado State- Any hope the Rams have of sneaking back into bid contention begins here.
- Georgia Tech vs. Virginia Tech– The same logic behind Wake-BC and Iowa-Michigan State applies here.
- Washington State vs. Washington- With Klay Thompson back, can Wazzu knock off their rivals three times? An elimination game for the Cougars.