Morning Five: 02.18.10 EditionPosted by rtmsf on February 18th, 2010
- In an era of slashing budgets, it was surprising to hear that Fordham University is planning on heavily increasing their basketball expenditures in an effort to become a major player in the NYC metropolitan area and the Atlantic 10. Perhaps given the pathetic status of local high-major programs at St. John’s and Rutgers, it’s a reasonable gamble. The Rams are searching nationally for a new head coach, and if a higher salary and recruiting budget will draw a dynamic young coach to The Bronx, then perhaps this could elevate the program to an NIT level.
- Chalk Syracuse’s Jim Boeheim up as another coach who supports expansion of the NCAA Tournament to 96 teams. The argument he makes is that there are “eight or nine teams” in the major conferences and to leave them out (he specifically cites UConn – 12th – and UNC – 9th) means that the “64 best” are not invited. To which we say… stick to the coaching, Coach. If the horrid Tar Heels and the schizo Huskies are good examples of teams that will be getting in under the new 96-team format, then Boeheim’s spouting off has already made the case against the change.
- Mike DeCourcy argues that the USBWA made a mistake in leaving off Malcolm Delaney and Matt Bouldin from their list of final sixteen candidates for the Oscar Robertson Trophy. In reviewing the list, though, we’re not sure who he would suggest they leave out. Delaney over Jon Scheyer or Dominique Jones? Bouldin over James Anderson or Robbie Hummel? We’re not really seeing the obviousness of this.
- While we’re on DeCourcy, if you’re interested in who he thinks the most underrated and overrated pro prospects are in college basketball this year, here’s your chance. We here at RTC love, we mean LOVE, Sherron Collins‘ game at the collegiate level, but we can’t get on board with him as the next Jameer Nelson in any way, shape or form. At that size, it takes a special talent to excel in the NBA, and we’re just not sure that Collins meets that threshold (which is to say nothing about his heart or will, which are huge).
- Did you guys hear that the NCAA has decided to expand the Tournament to 4,096 teams? We’ve got our money backing the Xenon International School of Hair Design in this bracket.