Morning Five: 01.27.10 Edition
Posted by rtmsf on January 27th, 2010
- Did you guys hear about that #1 team whom President Obama called yesterday to congratulate? Boy, it sure would suck if the man with the Midas touch somehow jinxed them, wouldn’t it? As we tweeted last night… Because of tonight’s events, with 0% of precincts reporting, I believe CNN just called Kentucky for the GOP in the 2012 election. Sounds about right, eh?
- You may not remember this exercise, but as part of the season preview over at Vegas Watch, we pitched in on an analysis of each BCS conference team + a few others using the 2008-09 Pomeroy ratings and manually adjusting each team based on returnees and recruiting classes. Here are some of our notable misses that we overshot — UNC, Washington, Iowa, Auburn, LSU, Oregon State, UCLA and Oklahoma. Coming next will be some of the teams we undershot.
- Is Friday night’s game between Harvard and Cornell in Ithaca, NY, the game of the year in college basketball? The WSJ thinks it might be.
- Stewart Mandel is back from football to ask where all the great hoops dynasties have gone? Not sure how much we agree with this assessment, though. Carolina and UCLA are clearly down, but Kentucky and Kansas are clearly up. There’s always a power vacuum and someone can fill it (usually one of the traditional powers).
- BYU will ‘go pink‘ in Saturday’s home game against rival Utah to support Coaches vs. Cancer, of special interest to the Cougar program because of head coach Dave Rose’s battle over the summer with pancreatic cancer. Here is a visual representation of what the jerseys and shoes should look like.
Leave a Reply