Checking in on the… Patriot LeaguePosted by rtmsf on January 10th, 2009
Marty Leon is the RTC correspondent for the Patriot League.
American and Lehigh Collide in Conference Opener
The tension starts right away in the Patriot League on Saturday as defending champion and pre season favorite American University, host 10-4 Lehigh, in a battle of two of the leagues best. American has momentum, riding a three game winning streak, all games in which they dominated their opponents, and won by double digit margins. Garrison Carr has led the way for Jeff Jones’ five averaging 18.4 ppg.,second best in the conference, while Brian Gilmore covers the board getting over 6 a game. American is playing like the team we thought they would be after a slow start. This does not bode well for the rest of the conference.
Lehigh just saw a five game winning streak end with a loss to an improving Princeton team.The Mountain Hawks are off to a tremendous start at 10-4 ,a school record for non league wins. Marquis Hall and Zahir Carrington are both top ten in the Patriot in scoring and rebounding. This game will be a classic,and a sure showcase of the rest of the season as to how low scoring close games are the Patriot way.
Navy Off To Best Start at Home
With a school record of 7-0 at home the Midshipmen are 11-4 overall and off to a great start. Senior Kaleo Kina is the leagues scoring leader getting 19.2 a game. Chris Harris is third at 16.1 a night. It like a batttle of the Beltway could be shaping up for a run at the conference title between American and Navy, forget Maryland and Georgetown this is real COLLEGE hoop!!
20 and 50 !!!
The non league records of Holy Cross, Colgate, Bucknell, Army and Lafayette combined. Surely does help the conference rating.
Marty Leons Masterful Opening Day Prognostications
- Lehigh at American. I take American, sending a message and flexing their muscles.
- Lafayette at Holy Cross. I like the Cross getting healthy and confident.
- Colgate at Army. The “Gate” too young to win on the road against a tough Jim Crews team.
- Bucknell at Navy. Tough way to open for rookie coach Dave Paulsen, Navy in a BLOWOUT !!
Marty Leon’s Jan. 14th Prognostications
- Colgate at Lafayette- Lafayette in a laugher. Coach Davis stole one at West Point. Must win for the Leopards!
- Holy Cross at Army- Should be two in a rowfor the Crusaders,unless Army out toughs them.
- Navy at Lehigh- Lehigh will bounce backfrom a loss at American with a W. Navy dissapointedagainst Bucknell.
- Bucknell at American- American starting to roll!!!!! Could be a crushing!!
Marty Leon’s Jan. 17th Prognostications (6-2 Record YTD)
- Holy Cross At Bucknell- Bucknell in a surprise.
- Navy At Lafayette- Leopards get two in a row.
- American At Colgate- American, no home court advantage for Raiders due to weak home crowd!!
- Army at Lehigh- Lehigh gets first win in a big way!!
Marty Leons Jan 21 Patriot Prognostications (9-3 Record YTD)
- Holy Cross at Navy – Cross have won three straight on the road. Have to go with Navy tonight though.
- Lafayette at Bucknell – Bucknell just does not have the horses. I like the Leopards.
- Lehigh at Colgate – This is a league of haves and have nots Lehigh is a have. Lehigh in a close one.