BCS Conference H2H (thru 12.25.07)Posted by rtmsf on December 26th, 2007
We’d originally hoped to track this better than we have throughout the pre-conference slate, but sometimes life gets in the way. A little over a month ago, we noted that the ACC and Pac-10 were leading the early charge with several marquee wins over the other BCS conferences. How has that changed in the interim?
Data Source: www.basketballstate.com
- The Pac-10 and ACC continue to lead the way, showing 1-2 in overall winning pct., with the ACC earning a commanding record against other BCS conferences (28-14), while every other league has struggled to reach .500. Most impressively, the ACC has a winning record against every other league but the Pac-10 so far this season (1-1). The Pac-10 has only lost eight games against mid- and low-major teams thus far. This comports with the RPI and Sagarin computer rankings, which has these two leagues in the top three in both measurements.
- Overall, the SEC has proven to be a joke thus far. Sure, the league can beat the low-majors (it certainly plays enough of them), but a 13-20 record against the other BCS conferences shows that this league just isn’t very good this year. It currently holds only one winning record against a BCS opponent – 5-4 versus the Big East.
- The other three leagues – Big 10, Big 12, Big East – all have shown to be various grades of average. The Big 12 has the advantage over the other two at this point, with its 21-20 record against the other leagues, but it tends to lose more often to mid-majors than the others.
- Quick rankings based on solely this measure: 1) ACC (h2h record is impressive); 2) Pac-10 (only loses to BCS teams); 3) Big 12 (generally good across the board); 4) Big East (more teams = more bad teams to bring it down); 5) Big 10 (sigh… 3-10 v. the ACC, again); 6) SEC (may not be better than the MVC or A10 this year).
Marquee Win to date –
- ACC – Duke 77, Marquette 73.
- Big East – Pittsburgh 65, Duke 64.
- Big 10 – Michigan St. 78, Texas 72.
- Big 12 – Texas 63, UCLA 61.
- Pac-10 – UCLA 68, Michigan St. 63.
- SEC – Ole Miss 85, Clemson 82.
Ugliest Loss to date –
- ACC – American 67, Maryland 59.
- Big East – Dayton 70, Louisville 65.
- Big 10 – Wofford 69, Purdue 66.
- Big 12 – Stephen F. Austin 66, Oklahoma 62.
- Pac-10 – Mercer 96, USC 81.
- SEC – Gardner-Webb 84, Kentucky 68