Mark Bryant of Big South SHOUT is the RTC correspondent for the Big South Conference.
Predicted Order of Finish
- Coastal Carolina (14-4)
- Winthrop (13-5)
- UNC Asheville (11-7)
- Presbyterian College (10-8)
- High Point (9-9)
- Liberty (9-9)
- Charleston Southern (8-10)
- VMI (6-12)
- Radford (6-12)
- Gardner-Webb (4-14)
- Nick Barbour (G) – High Point
- Austin Kenon (G) – VMI
- Jamarco Warren (G) – Charleston Southern
- Al’Lonzo Coleman (F) – Presbyterian College
- Chad Gray (F) – Coastal Carolina
- Keith Gabriel (G) – VMI
- Mike Holmes (F) – Coastal Carolina – Holmes comes to CCU after being dismissed from South Carolina last winter and won’t be eligible to play until a big tilt against LSU on December 13. The senior averaged 10.8 PPG and 7.4 RPG in his last full season in a power conference (2008-09), so he’s very capable of being a force in the Big South as long as he keeps his act together. Until he proves that, however, he’s something of a wildcard.
What You Need to Know
- Most folks would probably still identify Winthrop as the team of note from the Big South, with that school still having provided the conference’s only NCAA Tournament first round victory (over Notre Dame in 2007). Although they represented the Big South last year, the Eagles did not do so unchallenged. Coastal Carolina, bitter rival of Winthrop, asserted itself last year and won the regular season title before falling to the Eagles in the Conference Tournament. Expect the two familiar foes to be dueling again throughout the upcoming year. As for players to watch, with the departure of some hallmark big men from the league, outside shooting and guard play will likely generate the most excitement, thanks to contributors like Nick Barbour of High Point, Jamarco Warren of Charleston Southern, Austin Kenon of VMI and J.P. Primm of UNC Asheville, among others.