Glenn Junkert of GrizzlyJournal.com is the RTC correspondent for the Big Sky Conference.
BIG SKY CONFERENCE STANDINGS (ALL, CONF) STREAK
- Northern Colorado (8-1, 1-1) W1. Assuming role of conference favorite.
- Montana (6-3 1-1) W1. Tough homecourt loss in conference play.
- Montana State (4-4 2-0) L1. Leads conference standings with two home wins.
- Portland State (4-4 1-0) W3. Leads conference in most offensive categories.
- Weber State (4-4 1-0) W3. Soph point guard Damian Lillard assuming leadership role for Cats.
- Sacramento State (4-6 0-1) L2. Lose last 4-of-5 after hot start.
- Eastern Washington (3-5 0-1) L1. Eagles hit road on tough 2-week, five-game swing.
- Northern Arizona (2-5 0-2) L3. Jacks face brutal 4-game road swing through hollidays.
- Idaho State (2-7 0-0) L3. Injuries, suspensions affect Bengals front-court.
Northern Colorado – Earned a Mid Major Poll rank of 22nd (153 points) with a road breakthrough at 2nd place Montana, the only other Big Sky team with Mid-Major votes (8).
HOT & NOT
Portland State Vikings – after starting the season at 0-3 under first year head coach Tyler Geving – the Vikings have gone 4-1 since, a tear that includes an 86-82 win at Mid-Major 10th ranked Portland and a 23-point, 98-75 conference opener over Eastern Washington.
The road has been long and winding for the 2-7 Idaho State Bengals, who have played seven of nine pre-season games on the road. The Bengals notched one of their two wins on the road, edging UMKC 68-65, but dropped a 79-67 verdict to in-state rival Boise State in Pocatello.