Morning Five: 06.02.10 EditionPosted by jstevrtc on June 2nd, 2010
- St. Bonaventure junior point guard Malcolm Eleby has left the team following charges regarding an on-campus stabbing that occurred back on March 21. He follows fellow guard Lewis Leonard, who left in May, also implicated in the incident. The bad news might not be done in Olean, NY, as two other Bonnies have also been hit with charges.
- There’ll be no ignoring the elephant in the room at the Big 12 meetings in Kansas City. Commissioner Dan Beebe started the proceedings yesterday with a “plea for staying together.” Given the starry eyes of the B12 member schools as they watch their Big 10 and ACC counterparts polish their sweet TV deals, this reminds us a little of that scene in Braveheart where clan leader Lochlan rides out in front of the departing Scottish army and begs them, “Stop! Do not flee! Wait until we’ve negotiated!” We’ll see if the Big 12 can find a way to rally, rise up, and defeat those evil English…
- Interesting move, here. Oklahoma president David Boren sent a letter to the NCAA last week proclaiming that the Sooner program is now in full compliance with NCAA rules and regulations. Such a letter was a required element at the end of OU’s current probationary period which was said to run out on May 23. But you can’t blame the OU brass for wanting to put a wrap on that before the NCAA finishes its probe into the whole Tiny Gallon/Jeffrey Hausinger issue with the $3,000 that allegedly went to help Gallon procure his high school transcript.
- If you’re a John Calipari-hater by reflex, Mike DeCourcy challenges you to reframe your thinking of the man and his situation. Mike D — who never told us we were allowed to refer to him like that — isn’t just calling out college basketball fans, here. He’s challenging all college hoop media, a group of which he’s a member. We admire this.
- Way to go, TBL! Strong work. We hope that party is still raging.