Morning Five: 03.02.10 EditionPosted by rtmsf on March 2nd, 2010
- According to a well-connected Kentucky columnist, Sunday will be junior Patrick Patterson’s Senior Day. We know that John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins will not be in a UK uniform next year either, so why not end the charade and celebrate their final games at Rupp as well?
- The Mountain West reprimanded New Mexico coach Steve Alford for his embarrassing outburst against BYU guard Jonathan Tavernari on Saturday night after their game. We mentioned it last night, but Alford’s later admission that he was just trying to congratulate Tavernari on his career rings a little hollow given the heated circumstances of the game, the jawing between Tavernari and Darington Hobson in the final minute, and the subsequent result with Alford caught on tape. Next time just tell us the truth, Coach.
- We really don’t understand nor can we agree with the decision by Binghamton brass to punish itself by removing its team from the America East Tournament a mere three days prior to the opening round. It was bad enough when USC officials threw their promising team under the bus midway through the 09-10 season, but the players who remained at Binghamton along with interim coach Mark Macon made the best of a horrible situation this year and actually far exceeded expectations. The Bearcats finished 8-8 in the conference and were scheduled to be the #5 seed in the tournament. In a year without a truly dominant Am East team, imagine the story if Binghamton had been able to claw its way to the NCAA Tournament again this year! It doesn’t make a whit of sense to us to punish the remaining players for prior transgressions, but the school has consistently made poor decisions in this arena for some time now, so it shouldn’t surprise us.
- Some awards: In the WCC, Gonzaga’s Mark Few and Matt Bouldin are the 2009-10 COY and POY, respectively, while in the Big South, Coastal Carolina’s Cliff Ellis and Radford’s Artsiom Parakhouski were likewise.
- Seth Davis is back this week with one the absolute best features around this time of year… analysis from coaches off the record about the top teams in each conference. This week his Deep Throats discuss the Big 12, Pac-10, Mountain West and Atlantic 10. It’s good to know that we were right about Texas all along (“guys not knowing their roles and not knowing their identity offensively”).