Checking in on… the OVCPosted by rtmsf on January 2nd, 2010
James Horne of the Clarksville (TN) Leaf-Chronicle is the RTC correspondent for the Ohio Valley Conference.
Current OVC Standings (as of Jan. 2, 2010)
- Murray State 2-0 10-3
- Austin Peay 2-0 8-6
- Jacksonville State 1-0 5-6
- Eastern Kentucky 1-1 8-5
- Eastern Illinois 1-1 7-5
- Morehead State 1-1 6-6
- Southeast Missouri State 1-1 4-8
- Tennessee Tech 0-1 6-6
- Tennessee State 0-2 3-10
- UT Martin 0-2 2-9
- SIU Edwardsville% 0-0 2-12
% – SIU Edwardsville joined the OVC in July 2008. The program is reclassifying to Division I and not playing a full OVC schedule until 2011-12. They are not eligible for the OVC Championship or postseason play until 2012-13.
THIS WEEK IN THE OVC
PRIME-TIME BATTLE. The New Year begins with a top-notched showdown in the OVC and it will all be televised on ESPNU when defending tournament champion Morehead State (6-6, 1-1 OVC) welcomes in Austin Peay (8-6, 2-0 OVC) for a game at 8 p.m. (CST) Saturday night. It’s not lost on anyone involved that the Eagles upset the Govs 67-65 in two overtimes to win the 2009 OVC crown last March. And it helps that Morehead State and Austin Peay were picked to finish first and third (by the conference and RTC) in the preseason. Morehead State junior center Kenneth Faried, the Preseason Player of the Year, continues to dominate the league by averaging 16.5 points (third in the OVC) and 12.2 rebounds a game (tops in the OVC). He will be challenged by the Govs senior guard Wes Channels, whose 15 points a game is sixth in the league.
ONLY ONE? By the time Tuesday rolls around Murray State (10-3, 2-0 OVC) could be the last unbeaten left. The Racers don’t play Saturday and, while not an easy task, face OVC-winless UT Martin at 7 p.m. (CST) Monday.
THIS WEEK’S RESULTS
Monday, December 28
- Morehead State 66, @South Dakota 64
- UMKC 63, @SIU Edwardsville 54
Tuesday, December 29
- Eastern Kentucky 76, Morgan State 62 (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
- @#16 Ole Miss 90, Jacksonville State 75
- @Saint Louis 60, Eastern Illinois 42
Wednesday, December 30
- @UT Martin 71, Westminster 59
- Chattanooga 68, Eastern Kentucky 54
- Murray State 82, @SIU Edwardsville 51
- @Tennessee Tech 95, Union College 46
- @Alabama 77, Tennessee State 65
THIS WEEKEND’S GAMES
Saturday, January 2
- Jacksonville State at Eastern Illinois, 6:00 p.m.
- Tennessee State at Eastern Kentucky, 6:00 p.m.
- Tennessee Tech at Southeast Missouri, 7:45 p.m.
- Austin Peay at Morehead State, 8:00 p.m. (ESPNU)
Monday, January 4
- Austin Peay at Eastern Kentucky, 6:30 p.m.
- Tennessee State at Morehead State, 6:30 p.m.
- UT Martin at Murray State, 7:00 p.m.
- Tennessee Tech at Eastern Illinois, 7:30 p.m.
- Jacksonville State at Southeast Missouri, 7:45 p.m.
Tuesday, January 5
- Milwaukee at SIU Edwardsville, 7:00 p.m.
- Austin Peay at Morehead State: Rematch of 2009 OVC Tournament Championship Game won b y Morehead 67-65 in two overtimes.
- UT Martin at Murray State: Racers could end up as lone OVC undefeated so early in New Year.
OVC. APSU’s Wes Channels and UT Martin’s Marquis Weddle were named Co-OVC Players of the Week.
- AUSTIN PEAY GOVS (8-6, 2-0 OVC). Govs went 5-2 in December with losses at No. 3 Kentucky and Missouri. Govs lead series with Morehead State 48-47.
- EASTERN ILLINOIS PANTHERS (7-5, 1-1 OVC). Panthers 5-2 on road in non-conference.
- EASTERN KENTUCKY COLONELS (8-5, 1-1 OVC). Leads OVC in 3-point field-goal percentage at 41.4 percent (137-of-331 in 13 games)
- JACKSONVILLE STATE GAMECOCKS (2-4, 0-1 OVC). First-place Gamecocks went 0-3 on road in non-conference
- MOREHEAD STATE EAGLES (6-6, 1-1 OVC). Looking to beat APSU fourth straight time.
- MURRAY STATE RACERS (6-1, 1-0 OVC). Could be lone league undefeated by Tuesday.
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI REDHAWKS (4-8, 1-1 OVC). The Redhawks broke a 27-straight conference game losing streak, then longest active streak in the nation, with a 74-66 win over Tennessee State on Dec. 5, 2009. Still only one home win.
- TENNESSEE STATE TIGERS (3-10, 0-2 OVC). Only OVC team with one win at home, on road and at neutral site.
- TENNESSEE TECH GOLDEN EAGLES (6-6, 1-0 OVC). Only team to win at least three at home and on road in non-conference (Murray State five at home, three on the road is the other)
- UT MARTIN SKYHAWKS (2-9, 0-2 OVC). Skyhawks 0-6 on road in non-conference.