Checking in on the… ColonialPosted by rtmsf on December 16th, 2008
Ryan Kish of George Mason Basketball is the RTC correspondent for the CAA.
- Virginia Commonwealth (6-3)
- George Mason (6-2)
- Hofstra (8-1)
- Northeastern (5-4)
- Old Dominion (4-3)
- Georgia State (3-6)
- James Madison (4-4)
- Towson (5-5)
- Delaware (4-6)
- Drexel (2-3)
- UNC-W (3-7)
- William & Mary (3-6)
Teams doing well:
Hofstra increased their winning streak to eight games while VCU and Old Dominion have also won three straight. Hofstra and George Mason are ranked #28 and #30 in the most recent RPI report released by Collegiate Basketball News.
Player of the Week:
Jawan Carter (Delaware): The 5-11 guard averaged 23 points, 4.5 assists, and 2.5 steals in powering Delaware to victories over Hampton and Ohio. For the week Carter shot over 57% from the floor and if this continues, he could help Delaware escape the CAA basement.
Game of the Week:
Florida State 62, Georgia State 57 – The Panthers took this one to the wire but saw their late rally come short in the closing seconds. Georgia State was down by as much as 19 in the second half and a three-pointer falling short by Leonard Mendez with five seconds remaining could have tied the game at 60. Trae Goldston’s career night of 24 points was not enough to give the CAA a marquee win against a bigger conference this season.
Games to watch:
- 12/17 – Georgia State @ Georgia Tech – In-state rivalry could be upset win for Panthers.
- 12/17 – Akron @ VCU – Will the CAA’s success over the MAC this season continue?
- 12/19 – UNC-W @ Charleston – Charleston is 7-1 so far, it could be great out of conference road win for the conference.
- 12/20—VCU @ (4) Oklahoma – Could the Rams hand the Sooners their first loss of the season? Blake Griffin and Eric Maynor will be fun to watch as they exchange baskets. Maynor loves the big stage.