05.16.08 Fast BreaksPosted by rtmsf on May 16th, 2008
Finishing out your week with a bunch of meaningless links – enjoy!
- OJ Mayo claims he never took nothing from nobody! Apparently Mayo’s HS in Ohio (North College Hill) will keep its two titles from 2005 and 2006 – the OHSAA only gives you six weeks to contest a violation of any kind!
nvr1983 update: I prefer the actual LA Times article/interview. Even though I know it is normal for athletes to get rather large gifts from agents before the draft (rtmsf and I witnessed it in 1998 with Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison and a tricked out Navigator), the last sentence is a classic.
- UNC’s Alex Stepheson announced that he is transferring closer to home for family reasons (SoCal).
- USC may lose a major recruit for 09 in the fallout of the Mayo scandal.
- UConn guard Doug Wiggins is transferring to UMass – oh, to reminisce on what an uproar this would have caused ca. 1994.
- Indiana’s former assistant coach Dan Dakich got bought out for $185k.
- BYU’s Trent Plaisted signed with an agent and will stay in the NBA Draft.
- Here’s Shawn Siegel’s most excellent ratings of the top ten players at each position in this year’s draft class (PGs, SGs, and more to come…)
- Yes, kids, testing the waters can end up pigeonholing you and hurting your future draft position.
- Jay Bilas indicts everyone and anyone related to the stink emanating from the business of basketball (and we largely agree with him). (insider only)
- Gary Parrish talks about how teams are stealing players from programs going through coaching changes (Duke and UCLA are the latest beneficiaries).
- If this isn’t IRONIC in the wake of Huggins’ stint at Kansas State (one-and-done), we don’t know what is…
- Andy Glockner reports that the mid-majors are getting hit hard by the glut of early entries these days too.
- Is college basketball being unfairly singled out for additional enforcement (vis-a-vis football) by Myles Brand?