Ray Floriani is the RTC correspondent for the MAAC and NEC conferences.
- Iona avenged a tough defeat in New Rochelle by knocking off Manhattan on their home floor, 85-73. The consensus around the league is that the two teams is will meet again later on down the road. In likelihood, the pair could very well tip it off in March at Springfield with a whole lot at stake.
- In the meantime, don’t discount Loyola, who keeps on winning and is playing some outstanding defense.
- Player of the Week: Lamont “Momo” Jones, Iona, Jr., G – Averaged 30.5 points and five rebounds as the Gaels swept their two conference games. Jones shot 59.5% from the field and scored a Hynes Center record 43 points against Canisius.
- Rookie of the Week: Chavaughn Lewis, Marist, 6’7” Fr. G/F – Recently inserted into the starting lineup, Lewis averaged 13 points for the two games the past week. The freshman swingman proved versatile as well by averaging 3.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists to compliment his scoring.
Team, MAAC record, overall record:
|1. Iona||11-2, 19-5|
|2. Loyola (MD)||11-2, 18-5|
|3. Manhattan||10-4, 17-9|
|4. Fairfield||9-4, 14-10|
|5. Rider||8-6, 11-15|
|6. Siena||5-9, 10-14|
|7. Niagra||5-9, 10-16|
|8. Marist||4-9, 9-15|
|9. St. Peter’s||4-10, 5-20|
|10. Canisius||1-13, 4-20|
- Iona – Knocked off Canisius before earning a huge decision at Manhattan. Lamont Jones erupted for 43 points in the win over Canisius. Jones was 16 of 23 from the field (7 of 12 from three). Gaels enjoyed a 140 offensive efficiency rating in that contest. At Manhattan, the OE was another gaudy 123 for Iona. Four players were in double figures, led by Mike Glover’s 19 points.
- Loyola - Defeated Rider before winning at St. Peter’s to increase their win streak to six games. Outstanding defense has been the key during the winning streak. Rider was held to a 73 offensive efficiency. Erik Etherly scored 15 points and Shane Walker added 12 boards for Loyola. Against St. Peter’s, balance was a key as Roberton Olson led with 19 points while Etherley added 15 and Walker 14. Read the rest of this entry »