Morning Five: 02.23.10 Edition
Posted by rtmsf on February 23rd, 2010
- This is leftover from the weekend detritus, but Matt Doherty made an ass of himself at SMU’s game versus Memphis on Saturday (a 13-pt loss to the Tigers) when he engaged in name-calling with some fans behind the Mustang bench. Look, it was funny when he called out the Duke cheerleaders to his own team in the huddle, but woofing it up with fans over the quality of their school and so on is just pathetic.
- It’s been that kind of a year at UCLA. Reeves Nelson needed to undergo eye surgery on his retina, which was slightly torn during an injury he suffered last week at Washington State where he landed face-first after a dunk. His timetable for return is uncertain, but his doctor said that he could be back in action as soon as this coming weekend.
- Northern State’s Don Meyer announced his retirement effective at the end of this season. He has won 922 games over the course of a 37-year head coaching career in both the NAIA and NCAA Division II. His NSU teams twice made the D2 regional finals, and his NAIA teams at Lipscomb twice made the national semifinals before bowing out.
- Even mired in a disastrous 1-11 Big 12 season, Doc Sadler’s job at Nebraska appears safe. Ahh yes, the beauty of coaching basketball at a football school: Low expectations. Keep cashing those $800k checks, Doc.
- We made reference to this on last night’s ATB, but what would something like this cost Butler next year in the League? $25k? $50k?
Leave a Reply