Zach Hayes is RTC’s official bracketologist.
Last Update: Wednesday, March 7, 5:49 PM ET.
- Connecticut jumps to the #9 seed line following their Big East Tournament win over West Virginia. The Huskies boast six RPI top-50 wins including a sweep of the Mountaineers, a true road win at Notre Dame and a neutral court victory over Harvard. UConn is safely in the field and they face Syracuse on Thursday in a game where they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
- West Virginia is now a horribly mediocre 19-14 overall and 9-10 in Big East play. During most other seasons that would punch their ticket to the NIT, but due to the soft bubble, Pac-12 struggles and lack of bid stealers thus far, Bob Huggins’ team is still projected to make the tournament by a decent margin. At the moment they sit as the final #10 seed on the S-Curve but will likely drop as teams below them have opportunities to gather quality wins during the week. Despite the shoddy record, WVU does boast a #45 RPI, #16 SOS and has beaten projected NCAA teams Georgetown, Kansas State, Miami, Cincinnati, USF and Akron, while UConn isn’t considered a “bad” loss.
- Last Four In: Northwestern, Xavier, Texas, South Florida.
- First Four Out: Seton Hall, Drexel, Tennessee, Oregon.
- Next Four Out: Dayton, NC State, Oral Roberts, St. Joseph’s.
1 Seeds: Kentucky, Syracuse, Kansas, North Carolina
2 Seeds: Duke, Michigan State, Missouri, Ohio State
3 Seeds: Marquette, Michigan, Baylor, Georgetown
4 Seeds: Indiana, Wisconsin, Florida State, Temple
5 Seeds: Wichita State, Murray State, UNLV, Louisville
6 Seeds: Vanderbilt, Florida, Notre Dame, Creighton
7 Seeds: Saint Mary’s, Iowa State, San Diego State, Gonzaga
8 Seeds: New Mexico, Kansas State, Purdue, Memphis
9 Seeds: Cincinnati, Saint Louis, Alabama, Connecticut
10 Seeds: Southern Miss, Virginia, Harvard, West Virginia
11 Seeds: Colorado State, Mississippi State, California, BYU
12 Seeds: VCU, Miami, Washington, South Florida, Long Beach State
13 Seeds: Texas, Xavier, Northwestern, Nevada, Davidson
14 Seeds: South Dakota State, Akron, Belmont, Montana
15 Seeds: Loyola (MD), Bucknell, Detroit, UT-Arlington
16 Seeds: UNC-Asheville, LIU-Brooklyn, Stony Brook, Mississippi Valley State, Savannah State, Western Kentucky
Automatic bids: Stony Brook, Temple, North Carolina, Belmont, Kansas, Syracuse, Montana, UNC-Asheville, Michigan State, Long Beach State, VCU, Memphis, Detroit, Harvard, Loyola (MD), Akron, Savannah State, Creighton, San Diego State, LIU Brooklyn, Murray State, Washington, Bucknell, Kentucky, Davidson, UT-Arlington, Mississippi Valley State, Western Kentucky, South Dakota State, Saint Mary’s, Nevada.
Bids per conference: Big East (9), Big Ten (7), Big 12 (6), SEC (5), ACC (5), Mountain West (4), Atlantic 10 (3), WCC (3), Conference USA (2), Missouri Valley (2), Pac-12 (2).
Read the rest of this entry »