Another week full of information to catch up on…
- Lute Olson is taking a leave of absence (not medically related) from Arizona (see video below). Asst. Coach Kevin O’Neill will take over during the interim (update: UA isn’t looking very good during its exhibition game vs. Concordia today).
- This is a very cool map of every D1 school – did you know there’s only one D1 school in Minnesota? We didn’t either. (h/t to Meaningful Collateral)
- Post Game Heroes breaks down the College Hoops 2K8 Sports player ratings (nice to see Bo McCalebb (#3 SG) and Kyle Hines (#2 PF) getting their due). EA Sports NCAA08 March Madness also lists its top 25 teams.
- Did you know that Davidson is playing at Texas today? Yep, a closed scrimmage. We’ll see if we can find a report of this game later.
- Everyone’s favorite play-in game is now worth the same amount as any other first round game.
- MTD plugged a college coaching simulation game that really sounds interesting – once we figure out how to
quit our job and watch hoops all daymanage our time more effectively, we’re all in.
- NCAA Hoops Today gives a sweet rundown of upcoming games on the tube.
- After whiffing on Greg Monroe, Duke got a commitment from Elliott Williams, a shooting guard from the Memphis area. Oh, and Duke’s three football fans were miffed when Coach K scheduled a scrimmage at the same time as their game vs. FSU last weekend.
- It turns out the college hoops fans are the most superstitious of all. Now excuse us while we arrange our chair just so in front of the tv.
- Injuries, Suspensions, Returns -
- Washington three-point specialist Ryan Appleby broke his thumb and will miss 6 weeks.
- UCLA guard Michael Roll tore the plantar fascia in his foot and will be out 3-5 weeks.
- Sticking in the Pac-10, USC is battered and beat up.
- Marquette’s Trevor Mbakwe is out for the season with a knee injury.
- Wisconsin’s Michael Flowers has returned from a two-week leave of absence.
- Auburn top returning scorer and rebounder Josh Dollard will miss the season for medical reasons.
- Tennessee forward Duke Crews was allowed back on the team from his month-long suspension. His buddy Wayne Chism, however, was taken to the hospital with a concussion last week.
- Season Preview Materials -
- In case you’re just tuning in…
- Here are Jeff Goodman’s preseason all-americans. Here are MSN’s.
- Here are some off the radar players to know.
- M2M asks whether we should trust Vegas’s predictions. (answer: no).
- Dan Hanner takes a unique look at doing a season preview through computer modeling (most interesting observation to us – Kentucky over Tennessee for the SEC title).
- A non-blogpoll Top 25: Eric Byrnes Tries Hard (UT #1?).
- MTD gives its F4 sleepers.
- Gary Parrish previews: WCC, CAA, Mountain West, WAC, CUSA, A10, MVC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big East, Pac-10.