Ray Floriani is the RTC correspondent for the MAAC and NEC conferences.
- Iona holds a slim lead and finishes the regular season at home with meetings against Fairfield and St. Peter’s. Regardless of how the top four play out, they are all very much in the hunt. Loyola’s final game at Manhattan on Sunday guarantees that a fair amount of scoreboard watching will be in vogue.
Player of the Week
- Scott Machado, Iona, 6’1″, Sr. G – Averaged 14.5 points, 12 assists, 3.5 rebounds and 3 steals for the week. The versatile Machado had 16 points in a win at Rider, hitting all ten of his free throw attempts.
Co-Rookies of the Week
- Chavaughn Lewis, Marist, 6’5″, Fr., G/F – A starter for three weeks now, Lewis has 14 double figure games to his credit. Against Maine, Lewis recorded career highs in points (24), rebounds (9) and assists (5).
- Evan Hymes, Siena, 5’8″, Fr., G – Outstanding in a 21-point, 7-assist showing in the upset of Manhattan. Playing 40 minutes for the 14th time in 16 games, Hymes averaged 13.5 points per game for the week.
Team, MAAC record, overall record:
|1. Iona||13-3, 22-6|
|2. Loyola (MD)||12-4, 20-7|
|3. Fairfield||12-4, 17-11|
|4. Manhattan||11-5, 19-10|
|5. Rider||8-8, 11-18|
|6. Niagra||7-9, 12-17|
|7. Siena||7-10, 12-16|
|8. Marist||6-11, 12-17|
|9. St. Peter’s||4-12, 5-23|
|10. Canisius||1-15, 5-22|
- Iona– Won on the road at Rider before coming home to defeat Nevada in the Bracketbusters. Sean Armand led five double figure scorers for the Gaels with 22 points against Rider. Armand was 7 of 13 from three-point range. Against Nevada, a 90-84 victory, Lamont Jones paced Iona with 18 points. Five Gaels were in double figures and Scott Machado handed out 15 assists.
- Loyola – Lost at Marist before defeating Boston University in the Bracketbuster. Shane Walker had a 16-point, 12-rebound night in the losing effort at Marist. A team with a defensive efficiency of 96 during the MAAC season, Loyola allowed Marist a huge 114 rating in their 72-54 loss. Four Greyhounds hit double figures against BU with Robert Olson’s 17 points leading the way. Olson added 4 rebounds and 3 assists. Read the rest of this entry »