We’re so far behind in news that this is a must-post…
Huckleberry HoundRoy Williams and the entire 1966 Texas Western squad were the collegiate candidates inducted into the Basketball HOF on Friday. No beef with the Glory Road fellas (although UK and Rupp’s ex post facto vilification is a story that still needs correcting), but has RW accomplished enough yet (five F4s, one title) to warrant inclusion? Seems as if the committee jumped a little early on that one.
- Come see the new inclusions in your town this fall, as the HOF is making a 30-city tour around the country over the next year. The spokesperson of the tour is the Human Highlight Film himself.
- Stability in the Northeast – BC’s Al Skinner and Holy Cross’s Ralph Willard both had their contracts extended through 2013.
- Calipari mobilizes the entire city of Memphis to watch his players, who apparently cannot be trusted out on their own without inciting a freakin’ riot. We knew before it even came out that The Mouth of the South, Joey Dorsey, would somehow be involved in this. Make it rain, Joey.
- Not to be outdone, Mike Davis’s transfers at UAB decided to party without him, and all five were arrested on various charges. The most disturbing in our eyes? Walter Sharpe’s outstanding warrant for his arrest on a prior marijuana charge. Not only did he already have a prior, but he didn’t even show up for the hearing? And Davis didn’t know about this?? Now we know why IU fans wanted him gone.
- Oh, and former Terp star and NCAA Champion Lonny Baxter
has an unhealthy interest in firearmslikes guns.
- From a while back, ESPN believes that nearly a third of D1 teams are eligible to become Bracket Busters. (h/t to Awful Announcing)
- Louisville’s new arena (due in 2010) is already bidding for future NCAA Tournament games. Possible beneficiaries: Kentucky, Indiana, Cincinnati, Xavier.
- Rivals weighs in with Alabama, Villanova, Illinois and others’ Labor Day weekend trips. (takeaways: Bama will struggle w/o Steele and Scottie Reynolds was on fire)
- Andy Katz also contributes with reports (here and here) of his trip to Mexico with OJ Mayo and USC. (takeaway: OJ is the real deal)
- Goodman also has some summer excursion thoughts on Oklahoma, Duquesne, USC and Arkansas here; and Villanova, Marquette and James Madison here.
- Apparently Ohio St.’s Kosta Koufos was offered but did not take a Christian Drejer deal in Greece last week.
- Blue Ribbon’s preseason All-Americans are out – Drew Neitzel, Chris Lofton, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough and Dominic James. We’re lukewarm on Neitzel as a first-teamer.