Patrick Marshall of the White and Blue Review is the RTC correspondent for the Missouri Valley conference.
MY STANDINGS (current record/last week’s)
- Missouri St. 7-0 (1)
- Wichita St. 7-1 (2)
- Illinois St. 7-0 (4)
- Bradley 5-2 (3)
- Northern Iowa 5-1 (7)
- Indiana St. 5-2 (5)
- Evansville 4-2 (8)
- Southern Illinois 3-2 (6)
- Creighton 3-4 (10)
- Drake 3-5 (9)
STORIES OF THE WEEK
- Still two undefeated teams — Missouri St. is still undefeated seven games into their season. The Bears have had some nice wins against Tulsa and Auburn along with some outside sharpshooting. They are shooting almost 42% from three point range and holding opponents to under 60 points per game.
- The Redbirds on the other hand are also 7-0, but against some questionable competition. As expected, though, the veterans of Osiris Eldridge, Lloyd Phillips and Dinma Odiakosa have led the way for Illinois St. in scoring and minutes played. At the same time this team has also escaped some close calls. We may not know more about the Redbirds until their trip to Utah in a couple of weeks.
- Evansville double OT thriller — Evansville went into Tennessee Tech this week trying to rebound from a couple of losses. Who knew it would be one of the more dramatic games of the season so far. Freshman Colt Ryan hit a 12-foot shot with five seconds remaining in the second overtime to lead the them to a thrilling 91-90 victory. Ryan played a game high 47 minutes of the contest.
- Drake hits new low — Usually when you setup your own tournament, schools usually set it up so they are likely to win it. With Drake opening up against SIU-Edwardsville who is playing a full D-1 conference slate this season, you expected Drake to advance to the next day final at home. Well instead, SIU-E knocked off the Bulldogs, 60-58. SIU-E, by the way, went on to win the Drake weekend tourney.