SEC Set Your TiVo: 03.03 – 03.04.12Posted by EMoyer on March 3rd, 2012
Eric Moyer is the RTC correspondent for the Southern Conference and Atlantic Sun Conference and a contributor to the RTC SEC Microsite. You can find him on Twitter @EricDMoyer. See bottom of the post for the Official RTC Star System.
#1 Kentucky @ # Florida- Noon EST Sunday on CBS (****)
- Kentucky will look to complete its first perfect SEC regular season since 2003. The Wildcats have posted 11 of the 15 undefeated league records in SEC history.
- At 15-0, Kentucky is one of three schools (Long Beach State – Big West; Texas-Arlington – Southland) in NCAA D-I with an unblemished record in conference play.
- Florida holds a 2-8 record all-time vs. the No. 1 team in the country, including 0-8 vs. Kentucky. The Gators’ two wins over the No. 1 team came in the NCAA Tournament, defeating Duke in 2000 and Ohio State in 2007.
- In those eight games, Kentucky has beaten Florida by an average of 29.1 points per game.
- The Gators have already sealed a ﬁrst-round bye in the SEC Tournament and can reach the No. 2 seed with a win. If Vanderbilt defeats Tennessee on Saturday, Florida would be guaranteed at least the No. 3 seed,
Vanderbilt @ Tennessee - 4:00 PM EST Saturday on ESPN2 (***)
- Vanderbilt’s John Jenkins leads the SEC in scoring at 20.1 points per game. If he finishes atop the league, he will be the first player to lead the SEC in scoring in consecutive seasons since LSU’s Ronnie Henderson in 1995 and 1996. His 115 made three-point field goals leads the nation.
- Vanderbilt is the only team in the SEC that sports three 1,000-point scorers in Jenkins (1,837), Jeffery Taylor (1,547), and Brad Tinsley (1,192).
- Tennessee’s 110 wins over the Commodores are the most by the Vols over any opponent,
- The Volunteers can score the final first-round bye in next week’s SEC Tournament with a win and an Alabama loss.
Arkansas @ Mississippi State - 5:00 PM EST Saturday on FSN (**)
- Arkansas’s B.J. Young has averaged 21.0 points per game in his last six games. In those games, he has shot 51.9% from the field and an even 50.0% from the three-point arc.
- The Bulldogs have won 11 straight games against Arkansas at Humphrey Coliseum, currently the longest streak against any one SEC foe. The Razorbacks’ last win at Mississippi State came in 2000, 87-81.
- Mississippi State will recognize the retired legendary voice of the Bulldogs, Jack Cristil, at halftime Saturday with the unveiling of a banner to permanently honor his career behind the microphone. Cristil, 86, called 1,540 games from 1958-2011. During his time, he was behind the mic for MSU’s ﬁrst SEC title in 1959, the Bulldogs’ ﬁrst NCAA Tournament appearance in 1963 and the 1996 Final Four.
Alabama @ Ole Miss - 4:00 PM EST Saturday on SEC Network (**)
- Of Alabama’s 29 opponents, 11 scored their season low to date against the Tide’s defense. Mississippi owns a season-low of 50 points.
- JaMychal Green joined former Crimson Tide great Robert Horry as the only two players in Alabama history to rank in the top 15 all-time in scoring, rebounds, blocks and steals.
- Ole Miss forward Terrance Henry became just the second player in school history to reach 1,000 points and 100 blocks, joining former All-American Rahim Lockhart.
Plenty of SEC games slated for the weekend:
- South Carolina @ Georgia (1:30 PM on SEC Network) – Georgia owns a narrow lead in the all-time series, 49-48; the Gamecocks will attempt to sweep the Bulldogs for the first time since 2008-09.
- LSU @ Auburn (2 PM Saturday on CBS) – CBS returns to LSU and Auburn for the first time in some time. Auburn has not appeared on CBS since 2008 while the last time LSU played a regular-season game on CBS came in 2009.
***** – quit your job and divorce your wife if that’s what it takes to watch this game live
**** – best watched live, but if you must, tivo and watch it tonight as soon as you get home
*** – set your tivo but make sure you watch it later
** – set your tivo but we’ll forgive you if it stays in the queue until 2014
* – don’t waste bandwidth (yours or the tivo’s) of any kind on this game