RTC Top 25: Week 15Posted by KDoyle on February 20th, 2012
There was very little movement inside the Top 10 as the first five teams remained unchanged, and Ohio State was the only team to drop in the poll after their loss to rival Michigan. Outside of the Top 10, however, there was quite a bit of movement. Baylor continues to plummet as they are now in the latter half of the Top 25 while UNLV and St. Mary’s are both struggling out west. New Mexico made a big time power move into the poll as they check in at #16 after having not been ranked the previous week. The Quick ‘n Dirty after the jump…
- High Risers and Big Droppers —New Mexico, after knocking of San Diego State and UNLV last week, now looks like the team to beat in the Mountain West. The Lobos pushed their record to 22-4 after soundly defeating the preceding teams by double-digit margins. Conversely UNLV, St. Mary’s, Virginia, and Indiana are playing maybe their worst ball of the season with conference tournaments right around the corner. UNLV has a modest 6-4 record in the Mountain West, St. Mary’s has lost three of its last four, Virginia is 7-5 in the ACC, and Indiana is 8-7 over their last 15 games. All four of these squads are virtual locks for the NCAA Tournament, but they will need to find their mojo if they wish to have any success come March.
- Where to rank Florida? —Pollsters are struggling to get a collective read on the Gators. Five believe that Florida is a borderline Top 10 team, while three others have Florida slotted anywhere from 15 to 22. The Gators conclude their regular season at Vanderbilt and home against Kentucky—strong showings against two of the better teams in the SEC will bode well for the conference tournament and beyond.
- Still, No Pac-12 —Although there is still not a Pac-12 team in the poll—no team even garnered votes—Temple has made a splash into the Top 25 on behalf of the Atlantic 10. After beginning the A-10 schedule at 1-2, the Owls have run off nine straight wins and are the team to beat in the conference. Saint Louis will have something to say about that, though.
- Three new faces —New Mexico, Temple, and Creighton are all in this week’s poll. None of these three are technically new faces though as they have been in the poll at some point during the season.
Top 25 Games of the Week:
A relatively weak slate of Top 25 games this week as the regular season winds down. Missouri traveling to Kansas clearly highlights the games while Duke seeks for redemption down in Tallahassee against the Seminoles.
- #3 Missouri at #4 Kansas
- #7 Duke at #14 Florida State
- #8 Ohio State at #20 Wisconsin
Also Receiving Votes—Seven teams received votes this week with Drexel being the only team in the “ARV” category who has not been in the poll once this year.
Conference Call— Big East (6), Big Ten (4), ACC (3), Big 12 (3), SEC (2), Mountain West (2), West Coast (2), Missouri Valley (2), Ohio Valley (1), Atlantic 10 (1)