RTC Top 25: Week 7Posted by zhayes9 on December 27th, 2010
Here’s your post-Christmas Top 25… as always, the QnD analysis is after the jump and we encourage any comments to tell us where you disagree.
- Top Ten Remains the Same. For the second straight week, the same ten teams topped our poll in nearly the same order. The top three have remained Duke, Ohio State and Kansas for weeks now. Syracuse and Connecticut, two Big East squads with unblemished records, round out the first five. Georgetown’s convincing victory at Memphis and Missouri’s triumph over Illinois this past week kept those two squads in the top ten. #4 Connecticut travels to #6 Pittsburgh Monday in a must-see duel of Big East powers.
- Teams That Impressed. Texas took the biggest leap in our poll, jumping eight points following their win at Michigan State on Wednesday on the heels over their victory over North Carolina last weekend. The Longhorns look like a completely different team from a season ago. Wisconsin also leaped six points in the rankings. They welcome #13 Minnesota to the Kohl Center on Tuesday.
- Teams That Regressed. Baylor‘s fall of 13 points marked the biggest drop from this week to last. The Bears completed a disappointing performance in the Diamond Head Classic, losing to both Washington State and Florida State. Their best non-conference win is Arizona State. Kansas State also took it on the chin, falling six points following their loss to UNLV and the Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly suspensions. Tennessee dropped out of the poll after placing in the top five just weeks ago.
- Variance. Texas is a team of great debate among the pollsters. One voter has the Longhorns as high as #10 while two others left them out of the poll. Georgetown was ranked anywhere from #4 to #13 by the voters. The Hoyas fell to Temple but have road wins at Old Dominion and at Memphis along with a victory over Missouri in Kansas City and a home win over Utah State.
- Conference Call. Big East (6), Big Ten (6), Big 12 (6), SEC (2), Mountain West (2), ACC (1), CUSA (1), A-10 (1).