Morning Five: 01.15.10 Edition
Posted by rtmsf on January 15th, 2010
- Knowing what we know about NC State, this idea to use a real wolf as the team mascot will not end well. Then again, maybe the wolf can “escape” and devour Sidney Lowe during a rampage — that might make some of their fans happy.
- Department of Education Secretary Arne Duncan pulled no punches in his address to the NCAA yesterday, stating that college basketball is tainted by ‘renegade’ coaches and that the one-and-done rule is essentially an academic sham.
- The hits keep coming for DePaul. Just days after firing their coach Jerry Wainwright, the Blue Demons lost their best player Mac Koshwal 2-4 weeks with a foot injury.
- Luke Winn is back with his power rankings in the best read of the week, as usual. It’s a little scary that we remember those LJ/Augmon t-shirts from the days when the high fade was still rockin like Marley Marl and De La Soul.
- OJ Mayo continues to hide behind his agent when it comes to substantive answers while maintaining that he loves USC and would have never done anything inappropriate like, oh, maybe take money to attend the school. Look, we know he’s not legally obligated to say a word, but just once we’d like to see an athlete come out in his prime and say, “yeah, I did all that stuff and more. So what?” Maybe by thumbing his nose at the NCAA, it’ll help embarrass the organization into re-assessing how they do business.