05.30.08 Fast BreaksPosted by rtmsf on May 30th, 2008
Taking a break from NBA Predraft Camp news…
- Notre Dame got another major transfer pickup to go along with Ben Hansbrough (from Mississippi St.) – Scott Martin – a freshman forward who averaged 8/4 for the Boilers will be heading north on US 31 to ND. Suddenly the Golden Domers are looking really good for the 2009-10 season.
- UConn coach Jim Calhoun is reportedly facing skin cancer on his neck for the second time, and will undergo six weeks of radiation therapy this summer to remove it.
- Syracuse’s Donte Greene has decided that he’s a 1-and-done player, as he recently signed with an agent and will not be eligible to return to the Orange next season.
- Joey Dorsey made the claim in Orlando this week that he has the inside track on who the Bulls will select as the #1 overall draft pick, and he says Michael Beasley. Jeff Goodman writes about the maddening mind that is Dorsey.
- Clemson’s head man Oliver Purnell got an extension to 2014 and a raise to $1M per annum. Still significantly below Tommy Bowden ($1.8M), but hey, who’s counting.
- Luke Winn has a nice piece on Chris Lofton’s tumultuous senior campaign, as he is now finally starting to get his legs back after beating testicular cancer.
- In his first public interview since the Rodney Guillory scandal hit, OJ Mayo was more upset that the news hit on Mother’s Day than the fact it made him look like a cheat and a liar.
- In some sad news, Louisville center Clarence Holloway was diagnosed with Marfan Syndrome, which has effectively ended his basketball career. We wish him all the best fighting this disease.