09.26.07 Fast BreaksPosted by rtmsf on September 26th, 2007
Some news flotsam and jetsam we’ve accumulated this week…
- It was an expensive week for Ohio State paying its head coaches, as Thad Matta got a $500k raise (to $2.5M per annum) and contract extension through 2016.
- Tennessee forward Duke Crews has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules. How long is “indefintely?”
- We mentioned it briefly above, but it deserves its own note. Former Hawg PG Corey Beck was shot Sunday morning during a robbery attempt – he is listed in good condition.
- Free Shoes University is embroiled in another cheating scandal – the question is which sports are involved?
- Porsches, Polo & Ponies. SMU basketball avoids NCAA sanctions – wait, SMU still has a basketball program? Oh, right. Matt Doherty. So the answer is no.
- Plissken at the Buzzer gives a thorough and interesting breakdown of Memphis’ schedule (following up on Andy Katz’s top 10 last week) and how that will affect the Tigers’ NCAA seed next March.
- Melo is giving back to Syracuse, as
JimJuli Boeheim convinced him to fork over $3M toward a new practice facility for the Orange.
- Injury Report – Louisville freshman Clarence Holloway will miss the entire season after open heart surgery (!!), and NC State’s PG Javier Gonzalez will miss the next twelve weeks with a shooting thumb injury.
- BC’s success in the ACC on the gridiron and hardwood have increased its applications from traditionally ACC country.
- Construda still loves Luke Recker, oh these many years later…
- We guess Shawn Stockton isn’t as good as his uncle John.
- According to Jeff Goodman, 2008 #1 player Greg Monroe has narrowed his list to LSU, Kansas, Duke and Georgetown. Although Gary Parrish disputes this in a meandering article about Monroe’s eight finalists.
- Speaking of Parrish and Goodman, the former riffs on Bama’s point guard situation after losing Ronald Steele, and the latter notes that Bruce Pearl is in search of outside shooters and Arizona is looking at possible successors for Lute Olson.
- It’s NEVER too early for a projected field of 65.
- MascotLove: College Hoops Heaven takes a look at the top 15 mascots.